Well folks, I think it's time we set about choosing a saint for our brigade! Ok, so maybe we don't have a brigade yet, but I'm sure that having a patron would certainly help out with that little detail. And besides, it just sounds like fun!
In the comments, please let you know which saint you would like to nominate and why. Later, we'll put it to the vote. Let the nominations begin!
I do not know that much about him, but St. Alosyius Gonzaga is the patron for young Catholics. From what Wikipedia tells me... he strongly advocated educating and exciting other young Catholics in their faith.
ReplyDeleteI like Nikki's suggestion.
ReplyDeleteSt. Francis de Sales, being one of the patron saints of the Institute, would be another good option.
Having been on the pilgrimage I would also suggest St. Madron, of whom I know nothing except that he is the patron of pain, cures from pain, pain relief, and protection against pain. Hahaha!
All excellent suggestions so far.
ReplyDeleteI'm inclined to lean towards St. Phillip Neri as he is a patron of the Institute of Christ the King and is also the patron of laughter, joy, humor, and mirth. Seeing as how we are to be joyful in our sufferings, I think he would make an excellent patron. Additionally, us young adults are called to be examples and what better way to slay our enemies than with kindness and joy? Happiness in all that we do.
Anyway it's another possibility. Let me know what you all think. :)
I do really like St. Philip Neri. He is also an unofficial patron saint of youth because of his work with the children and starting "The Oratory" as a refuge for them in Italy.
ReplyDeleteIt took me a while to figure out how he is associated with the Institute though... Then I remembered the seminary. Is he really another patron saint? I thought it was just St. Francis de Sales, st. Benedict, and St. Thomas Aquinas?
I would like to nominate St. Casimir. He was a Polish prince during the fifteenth century who, against extreme social pressures, succeeded in leading a holy life. As young adults in the world, we are also subject to such social pressures. Sursum Corda is a retreat that bonds us together to help us fight this particular evil. Thus, perhaps we should chose this saint who has so much in common with our group's purpose.
ReplyDeleteThough all previous nominations have been excellent, I wish to make one of my own: Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati.
ReplyDeleteBlessed Pier Giorgio Frassati has been proposed as a patron of youth, and was known as the "man of the Beatitudes"; he strove for holiness and virtue even though his family was not religious. A lay Dominican, he radiated joy in everything he did, and loved the outdoors, especially mountain climbing and hiking. He evangelized constantly, and worked tirelessly to bring Christ to others during the rise of fascism in Italy.
He had an incredible devotion to Our Lord in the Eucharist, and woke up at 4 am every morning to walk through the still-dark streets to Mass, where he was a daily communicant. On long camping trips with his friends, he always made sure they could get to daily Mass.
In short, Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati provides a shining example of virtue, holiness, and charitable zeal in spite of natural and social obstacles, and of courage in the face of opposition.